Healthy blueberry and banana oat muffins with ground flax seed, no added sugar, and easy prep work. These are the perfect on the go snacks.
Blueberries are the best fruit to pick! Strawberries hurt your back from bending over and apples and pears get too heavy to carry if you pick a lot. A blueberry bush offers fruit at all levels for every different height, so it’s a great activity for even little kids!
I recently had a fun summer outing to Jones’s Family Farm in Shelton, CT. Although my son is too young to help pick the blueberries, he sure had lots of fun eating them! Good thing we had three pickers because he was eating as fast as we were picking!
Jones Family Farm offers 400+ acres of one of the finest pick-your-own experiences, including strawberries, blueberries, apples, pumpkins, and Christmas trees. In addition they have a winery, which serves 18 different kinds of wine. Tastings are offered for $12/person and you get to keep the Jones wine glass. Most impressively (ok, maybe not most, but it certainly blew away this Mom) is in the tasting room there is a play area for children! A toy kitchen, a train, books, and other toys occupied my son while Mommy and Daddy enjoyed a tasting. Children must be supervised by an adult, so bring Grandma with you!
These muffins are the perfect healthy snack. There is no added sugar and they are packed with protein-filled oats and ground flax seed. They aren’t too sweet, which I like, especially since I knew my son would be snacking on these. If you’re looking for more of a sweeter muffin, try adding a tablespoon or two of honey or maple syrup!
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ⅔ cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ banana, mashed
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Combine oats, yogurt, milk in a small bowl, set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ground flax seed and applesauce. Whisk together and set aside.
- Add egg and banana to oat mixture, stir.
- Add oat mixture to the large mixing bowl, stir until moistened.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Fill muffin tins until ¾ full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.