This post is tied to Pork Tenderloin- two ways. All recipes can be found under the week of May 24th.
I used kale to make two dinners this week, but actually used it for breakfast and lunch too! I made a green smoothie in my Nutribullet consisting of kale, banana, apple, blueberries, and ground flax seed twice for breakfast and had a kale salad seasoned with lemon-garlic dressing for lunch. And I still had left over kale, so we’ll use it again for another dinner for next week!
The first kale dinner I made was a kale, shrimp, and sweet potato salad. I know, it sounds a little strange! My husband was very skeptical of the combination and I’ll admit I was a little too! But it all ended up blending so well together! I have recently tried a lot of kale and sweet potato combinations. Click here for my super salad recipe with kale, sweet potato, quinoa, black beans, and avocado. I’m loving this combo! The second dinner I made this week with spaghetti with kale, lemon, and garlic.
Kale, Sweet Potato, and Shrimp Salad
This salad served two people; you can make it larger if you have more mouths to feed, or make a smaller version for a delicious lunch! I followed this recipe, but didn’t add the kale in the skillet at the end. I don’t like it wilted. Instead, I sprinkled it with salt, drizzled olive oil over it and seasoned the shrimp, because unless it’s shrimp cocktail, who wants plain, boring shrimp!
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Kale leaves, rinsed and chopped into bite size pieces
- Olive oil for drizzle
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 10-12 pieces of uncooked shrimp
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season shrimp with lime juice, fresh cilantro, and salt and pepper, set aside
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat
- Add onions and red pepper flakes, cook until soft
- Add garlic, cook 30 seconds
- Add sweet potato, cook 10-15 minutes
- Add shrimp, cook until pink
- Season kale with salt and olive oil, massaging kale in hands
- Serve skillet mixture over kale
Spaghetti with Kale, Lemon, and Garlic
For the second dinner with kale, I made a pasta dish, inspired by this recipe. It was light and refreshing and had a little kick to it!
Ingredients Servings- 2
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 box spaghetti
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups kale, finely chopped
- Pinch red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package
- Meanwhile, chop garlic and kale
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add kale, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes,stirring
- Drain pasta and add to skillet
- Turn heat to low and add lemon juice and parmesan cheese, stir until all blended