Creamy and flavorful butternut squash risotto is the perfect, hearty meal just in time for fall.
A new season brings new recipes. I’m excited for crock pot meals, soups, and using in-season produce like butternut squash!
Any good risotto takes a while to simmer, so if you don’t have a lot of time during the week, you can cook this in advance over the weekend or the night before.
Butternut Squash Risotto
Author: Meg's Meal Planning
- ½ butternut squash, washed, peeled, and cubed into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet.
- Add butternut squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook until soft about 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to cast iron, then add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add the rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time. Stir the rice frequently until cooked through.
- Add the butternut squash to the pan. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.
Pin for later