Roasted gnocchi and butternut squash with kale mixed in a creamy, healthy Alfredo sauce. A hearty, vegetarian dinner that is perfect for the winter months.
Everything about this dish, I just love. From the roasted gnocchi to the soft and tender kale to the healthier Alfredo sauce, I’m pretty positive you will fall in love with this meal. It’s the perfect family dinner for a cold winter night. Pour yourself a nice glass of wine or curl up under a blanket on the couch and enjoy this seasonal meal.
Roasting the gnocchi gives the pasta a slight crispiness, but if that’s not your thing, you can always boil them instead. Roasting them is just one less pan to wash! Using precut butternut squash is a huge time saver, which is what I did for this recipe. If you choose to use a whole butternut squash, just make sure to peel and cut into bite size pieces and adjust your baking time.
Almost every time I see a recipe that calls for traditional Alfredo sauce or heavy cream, I stay away. I prefer something lighter and healthier. That’s what makes this Alfredo sauce the perfect in between – you get the taste of the traditional sauce without the heavy cream. This sauce is made with milk; I used whole milk to make it a little richer.
If you really want to get fancy and make homemade gnocchi, find my recipe here! But for the sake of time, I used store bought gnocchi.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, separated
- 12 oz butternut squash, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 1.5 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 17.5 oz package of gnocchi
- 2 cups kale washed and chopped
- Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast butternut squash on baking sheet with 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper for 20-25 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat, whisk in flour for about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth and milk, bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce has reduced and thickened. It will continue to thicken once you let it sit and once poured over the gnocchi. Careful not to let sauce boil over.
- In large pan heat 1 tbsp olive oil over low heat, add gnocchi and cook 4-6 minutes or until tender. Transfer gnocchi to a plate.
- In the same large pan, add kale and cook until welted, add the Alfredo sauce, stir to combine.
- Add butternut squash and gnocchi to pan and stir well. Remove from heat.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
Pin for later