One pan penne, sausage, and kale is an easy week-night dinner. The pasta is cooked in the same skillet as the sausage and tastes amazing!
I need to start writing down all my one pan dishes because they are just AMAZING. If you haven’t learned my style of cooking yet, one pan dishes pretty much sums it up. Some of my favorite one pan dishes are spicy quinoa and shrimp and one pot chili and Mac and cheese.
Have you ever cooked pasta a different way besides boiling water? Cooking pasta in the same pan you cooked another item, like sweet Italian sausage, gives the pasta UBER amounts of flavor! Plus in this recipe, instead of using water the penne cooks in chicken broth, which of course adds more depth to any dish.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 gloves of garlic, minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 box penne pasta
- 4 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 6 cups kale, washed and chopped
- Parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, careful not to burn.
- Add sausage, breaking up large pieces, and cook for 8-10 minute or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
- Add chicken broth and pasta. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook for 11 minutes. (The pasta will be al dente). All the chicken broth should be absorbed, no need to drain.
- Add 4 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add sausage and kale. Stir until the kale is cooked down.
- Top with parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes (optional) if you like a little extra kick.
Pin for later
A lovely dish I know I would really enjoy. Love pasta 🙂
Thank you Jeanette. I could eat pasta everyday!
Very easy to make. With a household full of guys, pasta is one of our go to meals. Just finished making it and the guys are ready to dig in. Thank you for posting.
Thank you Jenn! Hope your boys loved it!
Made this for my hubby and we both loved it! Definitely saving as a go to meal!
Thank you for sharing.