A healthy weeknight dinner that makes meal prep a breeze. This easy dinner is packed full of cheese and protein.
Meals that can be prepared in advance are the greatest thing ever! “I want to spend all night in the kitchen cooking and cleaning” said no one ever. Just like cans of beans, pasta, and peanut butter are must haves for your pantry, a collection of easy recipes are a necessity as well.
Food items you can prep in advance
- Chicken can be marinated in the fridge overnight.
- Quinoa can be cooked in advance.
- Peppers and onions can chopped beforehand.
- Just about everything in this recipe can be prepped when you have the time, making this a perfect weeknight meal.
Healthy Mexican Chicken Quinoa Skillet
Author: Meg's Meal Planning
Recipe type: Cast iron
- 1 lb chicken breasts, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsps lime juice
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 yellow bell peppers, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1½ cups salsa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scallions, chopped
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Meanwhile, combine the chicken, lime juice, 2 tbsps olive oil, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper flakes in a bowl or large zip lock bag and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken mixture, marinade included, and saute until fully cooked. Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion and saute until soft. Add chicken back to skillet and toss to combine.
- Add cooked quinoa to the skillet, season with salt and pepper. Add 1½ cups shredded cheese and salsa. Stir to combine. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with scallions.
Pin for later
Leave a Reply