Savory steak with grilled summer vegetables like cherry tomatoes, zucchini, squash, and corn drizzled in a balsmic vinaigrette.
Summer is hanging on for dear life here in New England; we are still experiencing unseasonably high temperatures. This past weekend it was 90 degrees! I can’t wear my flannel shirts and boots in that weather!! What’s a suburban girl to do?! This recipe reminds me of summer, and I usually make it around the end of August when my garden is still producing produce. But seeing how it still feels like summer, I decided to make it later this year.
There are two nice things about this recipe: 1) It can use up lots of fresh garden vegetables! Does anyone else have out of control tomato plants? 2. It’s versatile – don’t have a squash? Fine, use only zucchini. Use any color of bell pepper you have on hand. I’ve also changed up the steak before.
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary and thyme
- Kosher salt and ground pepper
- ½ lb skirt steak
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced on a sharp diagonal ½ inch thick
- 1 small zucchini, sliced on a sharp diagonal ½ inch thick
- 1 ear of corn, husked
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Combine 1 tbsp olive oil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, ¼ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper in a baking dish or zip-top bag large enough to hold the steak. Add the steak and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make the vinaigrette by combining 1 tbsp of the basil, 1 tbsp of the olive oil, vinegar, parsley, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Brush the peppers, squash, zucchini, and corn with 1 tbsp olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender with nice grill marks, 10 to 15 minutes. Arrange all but the corn on a large platter and drizzle half of the vinaigrette on top.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, season generously with salt and pepper, and grill, flipping once, until grill marks form on both sides and cooked to your liking, about 3 minutes per side for medium rare (135°F). Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the corn from the cob and transfer to a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes and the remaining vinaigrette. Season with salt and gently toss. Spoon the corn and tomato mixture over the other vegetables. Slice the steak with the grain into 4- to 5-inch pieces, then slice thinly against the grain and arrange over the vegetables.
Pin for later
Leave a Reply