On a recent trip to Charleston, SC, (Click here to read about the trip) I was inspired by this mighty fine drink at the Vendue Rooftop Bar. It was the perfect cool and refreshing summer drink. Getting a mixed drink in my opinion is risky! Will to be too strong? Too weak? Will I like the mixture? There’s too much to worry about, so that’s why I usual stick to beer or wine at bars.
Something about this drink called my name. I felt like I was in the Pier One commercial and this drink was secretly saying “Megan, Megan, pick me!” Maybe it was the fun color or the perfect summer night and sipping on a lemonade sounded amazing? Who knows, but I’m glad I ordered it! To read about the other bars and restaurants I went to in Charleston, click here.
- 9 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1.5 lbs strawberries, washed and tops cut off
- Lemonade mix
- Handful fresh basil leaves
- Vodka or gin (optional)
- Cut 1 lb of the strawberries in half.
- Pour 1 cup water and sugar in pot and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add the cut strawberries (save the rest) and cook until they soften, about 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the other 8 cups to a large pitcher and add lemonade mixture. Because the strawberry syrup will be sweet, only fill the lemonade measuring cap to the 1 quart line.
- Chill the softened strawberries until cool, to speed it up place in freezer.
- Slowly pour the strawberry syrup into the lemonade mixture.
- Pour desired amount into a glass, add vodka or gin and 1 fresh basil leaf per glass.
Leave a Reply