Peri-peri chicken, cook once, eat twice. Who doesn’t love hearing those words! This was my first time making peri-peri sauce. I didn’t know much about it, so I decided to google it. It’s a traditional African sauce made with bird’s eye chilies (however I didn’t use that, so don’t freak out thinking where will I find that). The traditional version has a kick-ass fiery taste. My toned down version can still be as spicy as you want!
Remember, when following this recipe you are making more chicken and brown rice to save for a second meal later in the week. Let’s say it again – cook once, eat twice!
The following recipe is what I did, but know that you can also let the uncooked chicken marinate in the sauce.
Peri Peri Chicken with Brown Rice and Kale Chips
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 2-3 large kale leaves, washed and cut into bite size pieces
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup peri-peri sauce – *to make your own see note at bottom
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Set grill to medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken for 12 minutes, flipping once, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Set aside.
- Place chicken in either a large bowl or zip lock bag. Add peri-peri sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place kale on a large baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15 minutes.
- When ready to eat, slice 1 chicken breast (large one is enough for two people), serve with brown rice and kale chips.
* Recipe for Peri-Peri sauce
- 12 oz roasted red peppers
- 1/2 tsp fajita seasoning
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon
- Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Click here to read about second dinner using the chicken and brown rice.
Recipe inspired by the June/July Issue of Savory magazine
[…] chicken and brown rice. To read about the first recipe using the chicken and rice, click here. To learn how to make peri-peri chicken sauce, click […]
[…] – Peri peri chicken with brown rice and kale chips. This was my first time having peri-peri, sauce which is basically a red pepper sauce. Both the […]