The bacon in this corn and kale chowder pairs nicely with the creamy broth and it gives this easy soup recipe a perfect crunch!
This chowder is the perfect year around soup and you’ll pleasantly surprised with how great it tastes made with fresh or frozen corn. I’ve done it both ways when fresh corn wasn’t in season. The crunchiness and saltiness of the bacon pairs well the creaminess of the broth. A tip when cutting the corn off the cob-place in a bowl to collect the kernels.
- 3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh corn removed from husk or 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- In a medium pot, sauté bacon pieces over medium heat until crispy, remove from pot and set aside.
- Stir in 2 tbsp flour, whisk 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock, whisk 2-3 minutes.
- Add corn, cook 2 minutes. If using frozen corn, thaw first.
- Use immersion blender to blend to desired consistency
- Add kale and reduce heat to a simmer for 6-8 minutes
- Add milk and salt and pepper to taste
- Top with bacon
Pin for later