Even though we are far from vegetarians, my husband and I both love this soup. It’s a one pot meal, packs plenty of flavor, and between the kale, sweet potato, butternut squash, and quinoa, you will feel full and satisfied!
Vegetarian soup with kale and quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cans (14 1/2 oz) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped kale, ribs and stems removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and carrot and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, sweet potato, butternut squash, and bay leaves. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomatoes, and chickpeas. Stir in the quinoa and season with rosemary and thyme. Cook for 15 minutes or until quinoa is soft. Stir in the kale and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe was inspired from here