I said my New Year’s Resolution was to post more, so far that has been a big fail! I’m about 6 weeks away from the baby’s due date, so instead of a weekly meal planning post, I’m offering a single meal dish of my dinner tonight.
As I sat down to eat, I had this sudden urge to take a picture of this dish and share it with my blog! This pasta dish is on the lighter side; it’s creamy, but has no heavy cream in it. Instead the creamy consistency comes from greek yogurt! The inspiration for this recipe can be found here.
Pasta bake with chicken sausage, mozzerlla, spinach, and cherry tomatoes
- 1 box veggie or whole wheat pasta
- 1 lb spicy or mild Italian chicken sausage
- 1 bag of spinach
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 and 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Before draining, place spinach at the bottom of the strainer and drain pasta over spinach, allowing it to wilt.
- Cook chicken sausage in 1 tbsp butter or olive oil over medium heat for 12-14 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and place cooked sausage onto cutting board. Slice into bite size pieces.
- Add garlic pieces to a large bowl, add the cooked pasta, sausage, spinach, and tomatoes. Then add tomato sauce, yogurt, milk, 1 cup of cheese, and spices. Mix very well. Pour into casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese. Cover with foil.
- Cook for 30 minutes covered. Remove foil, and cook for another 10 minutes