Holy cow, how is it already September!? Why does the summer go by so quickly, but winter hangs around forever!? I’m already missing those long days, but I’m really looking forward to crock pot season! I was kinda in the fall mood this week, which you can see from some of the dinners!
Monday– Taco salad. We used the left over ground turkey from last week’s taco Friday and turned it into a salad with cheese, diced tomatoes, salsa, and chips.
Tuesday– Stuffed peppers with chicken sausage, rice, apple and dried cranberries. This is one of our favorite dinners! We’ve tried it with different types of chicken sausage, and this time we used feta and spinach. We also love cooking extra stuffing and taking it for lunch the next day.
Stuffed peppers with chicken sausage, rice, apples, and dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 large bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 chicken sausage links, I used feta/spinach this time
- 1/4 cup chopped apple
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- Prepare rice as package directs, substituting chicken broth for water. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut top of peppers, remove seeds, and rub with olive oil
- Place peppers cut side up in baking dish and roast for 30 minutes
- Meanwhile heat large skillet over medium heat, saute sausage until lightly browned, add apples and raisins until soft
- Stir in cooked rice and heat through
- Fill peppers with sausage mixture
Wednesday– Pasta, good ol’ fashion pasta. I’ve missed it all summer, so it’s about time to bring it back. I am embarrassed to say we didn’t make the sauce, it’s from a jar…ekkkk! But once it cools down a little, sauce season will start!
Thursday– Homemade tomato soup and grilled cheese. Nothing fancy, but the tomato soup was made with tomatoes from our garden! YUM, can’t wait to make more and freeze to have in the winter
Friday– Homemade pizza. I’m enjoying these last days of summer using my fresh tomatoes and basil. For the pizza, I preheated a pizza stone for 30 minutes at 475 degrees, then added sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10-12 minutes and top with basil.
Leave a Reply