I hope my sister is learning some new recipes and skills in the kitchen. She can get a little nervous when cooking something she is unfamiliar with, but I see her confidence growing each week! This week we made a veggie burrito bowl with peach salsa. It was so simple, yet had big flavor!
Veggie Burrito Bowl
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 15 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Shredded Mexican cheese
- Fresh peach salsa- See recipe below
- Cook rice according to packaged directions
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in skillet and add black beans with cumin, salt, pepper and cook for two minutes, stiring frequently
- Divide evenly the rice and black beans between three bowls, add avocado, cheese, and fresh peach salsa
This peach salsa has some heat to it!. You can tone it down or add more depending on your taste buds. All the tomatoes as well as the jalapeno for this recipe came from my garden! This is the first recipe I’ve made with my homegrown vegtetables. I got a feeling there will be many, many more homemade salsas in my future!
- 5-6 plum tomatoes, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 peach, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced – I added the seeds for more heat
- 1/4 cup white onion, minced
- Handful fresh cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Add tomatoes to a medium size bowl, add salt and let sit for 10 mintues to collect the juices. Don’t drain!
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until incorporated
[…] must be the most simple, yet most tastiest recipe I’ve ever made! Move over Chipotle! Click here to read more and get the […]