I made this pasta salad for a work cook out, but it’d also be perfect for a Father’s Day BBQ. I was able to use some of the fresh asparagus from my CSA farm box! This recipe was inspired by apples and sparkle .
- 2 red peppers
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bundle of asparagus, tough ends snapped off, cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb penne pasta (I used veggie penne)
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Roast the red peppers – Turn oven to broil and let it heat up for 5 minutes. Wash the peppers, cut the top and ends off, then slice open and remove the seeds and stems. Lay down flat, skin side up on a foil lined cookie sheet. Broil 7-9 minutes, turning pan halfway through cooking time.Peppers are done once they start to turn black and blister. Remove from oven and place into bowl. Cover tighly with plastic wrap and let peppers steam for around 10 minutes. Scrape away skin and cut peppers into 1/2 inch pieces. Set aside
- In a large bowl combine the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix together and remove 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and place into a medium sized bowl.
- In large dutch oven, bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the asparagus. Cook until just barley tender (about 3 mintues). Use slotted spoon to remove asparagus pieces, place in colander, and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until done. Drain pasta and add the hot pasta to the large bowl and toss to coat in the dressing.
- Add the roasted red peppers and mozzarella to the bowl with the asparagus and mix in the vinaigrette.
- Once the pasta has cooled, add the asparagus mix to the bowl of pasta.
Meg this looks awesome! So colorful, perfect dish for a summer BBQ!
Thanks Emily! It makes me wish it was the weekend!
how delish. Is winter here so I will wait until December to make this salad 😉
Hopefully your warm weather will be here before you know it! Where do you live?
I’m in sydney – winter is only a few days in so summer is a way off yet 😄